Community of Inquiry

How Humanizing Online Learning, building relationships and developing a social presence in online learning contexts supports learners in online courses.What are your experiences with developing a social presence in your online courses? What kind of social presence activities do you prefer as a learner?

When I first time hearing the word online learning, the first thing come out to my mind is it is easy and also complicated. I think online learning is easy is because I do not need to go to school. The reason I also think it is complicated is that everything is on my own and I am not familiar with the technologies. You cannot ask questions anytime you want if you face some difficulties; you cannot meet new people in the class. It is more likely a one on one course. Everyone will feel disconnect to the class. In my opinion, live classes will be more helpful for humanizing online learning, building relationships and developing a soical presence than recorded lectures. Also, it will make students feel connected to the courses and help them build relationships and confidence. According to the reading and Helen’s presentation, a good teaching presences and social presences will make students more interesting to the classes and their cognitive processes to the clases will be stronger.

I have been taken online courses for months. An easy understanding course content will make me less frustrating and easier to learn and accept. As a result, I think set up group projects as assignments and set up group discussions during the classes are the best way to develop social presence and build relationships because we can ask any questions we have during the discussion and get students closer and reduce stress. That is also my favorite activities as a learner.